For many people the highlight of every worship service is coming to the altar of our Lord and there participating in the Holy Sacrament of Communion.
So that there can be as little interruption in the sacred atmosphere that surrounds the distribution of the Sacrament , that we might be more efficient in the use of our time and resources, and so that we will meet the needs of all our people, the Drama, Music and Worship ministry team has revised the procedures of how people at St. Mark’s will receive the Sacrament at the 9 a.m. service.
Beginning July 4th, the following procedures will be implemented regarding
Holy Communion and the taking of the Offering.
1. The first communion table will be served on the floor of the nave to those who cannot negotiate the stairs to the altar.
2. The worshipping community will begin distribution by voluntarily stepping into the aisle and forming two lines, one on each side of the aisle. These lines will extend to the chancel steps where two ushers will be positioned.
3. At the foot of the chancel stairs, two ushers will assist those needing help up/down the stairs, and they will regulate the number of people to be served at each communion table.
4. A second group of communicants will form behind those who are communing. Once a table has finished communing, they will be dismissed by the presiding ministry with a common blessing. As they leave, the group behind them will take their place at the rail. This grouping of two sets of communicants at the altar will continue until all have communed.
5. Since many people participate in Simply Giving, the offering will be gathered before worship by the ushers as the congregation enters the sanctuary . It will be presented at the altar during the offertory.
We will be very deliberate in rehearsing these changes throughout the month of July at the 9 a.m. service. Thank you for your cooperation!